Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Daughter of the Centaurs by Kate Klimo


Daughter of the Centaurs by Kate Klimo
Hardback
370 pages
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Published: January 24, 2012

Summary from Goodreads:
Malora knows what she was born to be: a horse wrangler and a hunter, just like her father. But when her people are massacred by batlike monsters called Leatherwings, Malora will need her horse skills just to survive. The last living human, Malora roams the wilderness at the head of a band of magnificent horses, relying only on her own wits, strength, and courage. When she is captured by a group of centaurs and taken to their city, Malora must decide whether the comforts of her new home and family are worth the parts of herself she must sacrifice to keep them.

Kate Klimo has masterfully created a new world, which at first seems to be an ancient one or perhaps another world altogether, but is in fact set on earth sometime far in the future.



Review:
Daughter of the Centaurs was a unique read for me , it was the first book I have come across with Centaurs in it. Malora , after losing all of her people to the "Leather Wings "" sets out to live among the horses. Because she is now on her own she is able to live her dream of training and guiding the horses, practically becoming one with them , when she moves they move . Malora is practically a centaur herself when she meets Orion and the other centaurs , in fact she seems more in tuned when upon the horses then Orion and the others are , even though they are half horse. It is not long before Malora is brought into Orion's home and must learn the Edicts that his people follow . Is the lost of her beautiful horses worth no longer being alone ? I really enjoyed the way "scents" were introduced. Orion is an alchemist and he is known for putting together scents to calm , relax , invoke memories and the like . It was quite interesting to see how the "scents " effected Malora. I guess if I had anything negative to say it would have to be that I didn't like the way the book was written. I felt like I was viewing the story , quite detached from it. when I read a book I like to feel like I'm immersed in the story that I am part of the adventure going on , not merely a passer by. After finishing the book I didn't feel attached to the characters at all . That being said I will still be reading the second book when it comes out simply because I must find the answer to the question..... Is Malora really the last human left?

My review can be found on Goodreads, Amazon, FB, Netgalley, Twitter,and of course the blog :)
If you have read this book feel free to leave your thoughts , I would love to know what you thought of the book.

I was in no way compensated for this review the thoughts and opinions are my own.

1 comment:

Crystal Campbell said...

Sounds interesting and also different, think I will put it on my library list. :)

 
Content © Totally Booked Solid. All Rights Reserved | Design © 2011 Laura Jane Designs
Unauthorized use of this site's design or code is strictly prohibited.